Sunday 5 June 2011

Changing Education Paradigms




In the few hours left before Songs of Praise Syndrome strikes, I wanted to share this 12 minute video with you, dear readers.

I know, I know. Modern attention spans are about 8 minutes- tops. But if you are interested in education, I wholly encourage you to fore go watching the Britain’s Got Talent omnibus today and watch this instead.

The lecture is something I turn to time and time again.  Delivered by Sir Ken Robinson; it is an inspiration and an aspiration. It is education with the strait-jacket removed.

If you can’t be bothered, don’t worry. You can copy my homework. Below I have highlighted timeline sections of the lecture which may be of interest, but I encourage you to watch it all.







00:27 to 01:25  The main issues facing education today.

01:47 to 03:35  The centuries old basis and view of education

03:48 to 06:31 FASCINATING- WATCH THIS BIT IF YOU WATCH NOTHING ELSE: The link between ADHD and Standardised testing AND geography

06:35 to 07:39 The link between how industry and schools are organised
07:40 to end  Divergent/creative thinking with some shocking findings about how we beat this out of children and a hint at an alternative way forward.

Tomorrow is Monday and back to school after the Half Term Break. Cue compositions tomorrow on What I Did For Whitsun. I will be putting on the poodle costume and jumping through the hoops held up by a government, by a system that dates back to The Enlightenment. I will be snarling and barking at Sir Ken Robinson in case the inspectors are watching. But in my mind I want to curl up at his feet and dream of chasing rabbits.

Keep the Faith,

The Head

1 comment: